Friday, August 17, 2012

Heads Up For Chocoholics


OK. I admit it. I am a hopeless chocoholic who rarely indulges the passion because of the sugar and fat and yes, darnit, the calories involved.  So when I read about a new way of making chocolate healthier over at Gizmodo, I just had to spread the word. 

If you are, like me, a total chocoholic who has been holding back, even in healthfood stores where they sell all that fair traded, dark chocolate that is supposed to be good for you, it's time to celebrate.  You are going to want to go over to Gizmodo and read  about the details there for yourself, but the gist is this:

According to a report in the  Journal of Material Chemistry,scientists in the UK have taken up to half the fat out of chocolate by infusing it with orange and cranberry juice.   The resulting chocolate bars are evidently delish if a bit fruity-- hey, I'll trade a slightly fruity taste for a bunch of calories any day. 

Where do I sign up?  Pass the chocolate bars please.

8 comments:

Frieda Babbley said...

You know, a lot of people don't realize that adding citrus to their food will cut the fat content. Very helpful. I'm pleased to say I am having chocolate this morning, however I have no citrus for it as it is a mocha, but that's not a bad idea to have an orange mocha or something like that. I think more places should offer that option, don't you?

Sherri said...

I think I'd be a lot more inclined to try this chocolate "formulation" if I had a better understanding of what fumed silica particles and chitosan are: "Fumed silica particles are used in combination with chitosan under acidic conditions ..." :)

Unknown said...

Frieda-- I didn't know that, but of course it makes sense that citrus cuts fat Duh!

and yes, Sherri, when you read the fine print there are a few questions LOL but still-- chocolate without guilt cannot be a bad thing IMHO

Thanks to you both for being such great and loyal supporters of the packrat's posts

Unknown said...

I like the concept but, as Sherry pointed out, there are some questions that need answering.

Meanwhile, I'll chomp on 95% Lindor accompanied by Grand Marnier.

Unknown said...

sounds good, Flash-- yummy in fact:-)

Ahab said...

I do wonder -- with less fat and calories, will the chocolate be as smooth and full-bodied? The pleasure of chocolate is as much about the texture as it is the flavor.

Unknown said...

I wonder about that too-- fattening chocolate just feels better, tastes better and is more satisfying-- sad but true:-)

Unknown said...

why fix it if it aint broken ;)