Monday, May 17, 2010

The Moon and Venus



A rare planetary event took place yesterday, when the planet Venus was eclipsed by the crescent moon. It's something that can only happen when the moon and Venus are in the right alignment and , though it was not visible from North America, people  from India to North Africa and the Philippines  could watch this  " planetary occultation" in the twilight sky. Now through the magic of the internet, you can watch it too.  Enjoy.

 Hat Tip to Mail Online  where I found the picture above plus more photos and a detailed explanation of the event.



2 comments:

Frieda Babbley said...

amazing! I can't believe I missed it. Crazy, I just went to the planetarium with my daughter's class today. She's decided to start a solar system blog for her summer project.

Unknown said...

Well, it wasn't visible from North America which is why I included the video. But thass why there was no publicity here :-)

Hooray for your daughter. Let me know when her blog goes live.